Saturday, January 30, 2010

Thai weddings

The Thai wedding is officiated at home by monks in the presence of a close family, usually in the morning. Guests are invited to the wedding party in the evening.

The wedding party of a young and handsome associate professor was planned in a French 5-star hotel in Chiang Rai. I asked one of my colleagues what present I have to give. He told:

-Money, only money

-How Much?

-500 to 1000 b ($1=33 baht)

Thinking that the hotel is 5 stars I put in envelope 2000 b.

When I arrived I saw a lot of flowers and exquisite arrangements everywhere. It was a big, beautiful dining hall, music, and great food. The bride, a beautiful girl, has a great wedding gown. Over 200 guests. I was only once at such a rich wedding in my life. That were not my friends, but my children's friends, multimillionaire family in California.

I felt terrible for my small gift, only 2000 b.

The groom and bride made a picture with every guest, as guests arrived. The groom and bride did not come to the dining room until the guests finished their dinner. After our dinner the bride and groom vent on the stage together with the family members. Speeches continue appr half an hour. After that, the wedding tort was cut. There was music but not dance or singing.

The next day I asked one of my colleagues if a family with the wedding is very rich. She told: “not rich, but wealthy, both families, of the bride and of the groom.” I wondered how they could afford such a great wedding.

My colleagues told me, that it is a very typical Thai wedding. She told me about her wedding. At her wedding, over 300 persons were invited, because Thai families are big. Her and her husband's family were over 100 people each. The remainders were friends and coworkers. The food was around 100 b/person. The hotel did not charge any rent, because the hotel restaurant sold food and had a good profit. The bride's gown was rented. A guest family of two gave 500-1000 b as a present. It covered all the expenses.

Come to Thailand for your wedding if you want to have it rich and inexpensive.
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment